Any Golden Dawn Order or Temple will have to deal with potential members of all types, ranging from the borderline psychotic to the adept from another group to the full-on neophyte with no idea of the Golden Dawn or what it stands for. How to deal with these members is an ongoing struggle between explanation of the Order’s goals and the vows of secrecy (whatever those may entail).
For most groups, there seems to be a concern over who to let in, and for good reason. The Denver Golden Dawn Temple to which I belong has had its share of members who were unable or unwilling to follow the group’s rules and regulations, some who have rebelled against some of the aspects of the GD, and some who just didn’t fit in personally. Trying to weed out unfit potential members is an ongoing task.
We used to have open meetings where a modified 0=0 opening would show the potential member what we have to offer. This resulted in one excellent member joining our group, but for many it was an opportunity for us to see their various psychoses in action. We soon disbanded the “open meeting” idea for a more prolonged and anonymous application process.
Our application process is as follows:
1. the applicant finds our website and sends a note to the Cancellarius (who by decision of the Inner Order is not only in charge of all secretarial duties and monies, but has this additional responsibility as well).
2. the Cancellarius reviews their email and decides to send them an application form.
3. the form is reviewed by all voting members of the Temple. A decision is then made whether to meet with the applicant at a neutral location, with all voting members present.
4. in a formal Temple (0=0 opening), the applicant’s membership in the Temple is opened to full discussion. There is a vote taken.
5. whether accepted or denied, the applicant is notified by mail. This is done to ensure that the current members are kept anonymous and no one person is seen as responsible for the applicant’s acceptance or denial.
The above has seemed to work so far for our Denver Temple. What’s your Temple/Order/Group standard application process, and why does it work or not work?